Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Style,Tone,Irony, and More!

Style: When Yevgeny Zamyatin writes this story I feel like he makes D-503 very straight forward but then he explains himself so we don't think he is crazy. Like when he talks about wanting to have sex with I-330 he covers it up that he is sick.  D-503 opinions are very narrow minded but  I can tell he is becoming more open minded when I read farther into the story.

Tone: Anytime D-503 talks about the ancestors he describes them as dumb and crazy.  He thinks that we are dumb to have freedom.  So his tone is basically that he looks down upon us and is disappointed in our decisions.

Irony: P. 64 " I hate the fog. I am afraid of fog." "That means you love it. You're afraid of it-because it is stronger than you. You hate it-because you are afraid of it.  You love it-because you can't conquer it yourself.  You see, you can only love the unconquerable." D-503 then admits he likes the fog.  I also think the fog relates to I-330.  Even though D-503 really wants to hate I-330, he can't because he likes her.

Plot: In the book it talks about how plots can go back and forth between the past and present to provide information that leads up to the final startling moment.  I think that is how this book is arranged.  It is in the future but it keeps relating to his ancestors (which is in today's present) and I don't think we will really know what is going to happen until the very end.

Characterization: Old Lady: D-503 portrays her as an old wrinkly lady with a wrinkled kinda weird mouth.  He makes her seem mysterious at the Ancient House and hasn't quite figured her out yet.
Setting: The setting is mostly taken place in the One State. But, there are so many different settings. Like, when I-90 finds out that D-503 had sex with I-330, D-503 gets on the elevator and he says "down, down, down," (70).  That setting  in the elevator relates to his mood and how he was supposed to be having sex with his girlfriend and instead had I-90 tell him to leave her alone.

Point of View: We is in first person.  The narrator, D-503, is largely influenced in the story.

Symbol: Gas Bell Jar represents dehumanization.  The Gas Bell Jar is what makes them act and think the way they do for what they think is happiness.

Theme: So far I think the theme of the story is The One State definition of happiness is to have everyone do everything the same way.  Perfect with no mistakes.  I think this theme is actually accurate.  A lot of people, even myself, think that if everything perfect you will be happy.  That isn't necessarily true.  Celebrities are a great example.  They have all the money in the world with luxury cars and mansions with fashion clothing.  Everyone thinks there life is perfect but many celebrities I think are unhappy.  The same goes for robots I guess you could call them in We.  You can tell that D-503 is falling apart, so really there lifestyle isn't making everyone happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment