Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Ending of Dr. Faustus

I was surprised when Faustus blamed his parents for him giving his soul to the devil.  He still didn't take responsibility for his actions.  At first I thought he did, until he cursed the devil at the very end.  I was a little mad that Marlowe didn't give any exposition about Faustus's parents.  It would have been interesting to know where Faustus came from and why he was so immature and weird.  But, I will admit I was a little shocked with the ending.  I thought Faustus was going to repent and God was going to forgive him so he wouldn't have to go to hell.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think Faustus repented. I feel like he was trying to blame other people into him not going to hell. To repent he has to admit that what he did was wrong, and he failed to do so.

    ReplyDelete