Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Faustus

I think a message Marlowe is trying to present is when people have the power to accomplish anything they take that power in a negative way.  Faustus likes to torture people.  For instance, when the knight tells Faustus he can't bring Alexander the Great and his paramour back to the emperor he puts horns on his head.  He enjoys playing mean tricks on people.  Faustus doesn't realize that he can have power in a good way.  I think Faustus now enjoys giving his soul to the devil because of what he can do now.  I think he will soon find out it has its disadvantages that come along with it.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think power is bad but I think many people don't know how to use it. I don't really think I can judge though because when you know you have so much power your ego gets in the way of what is ethically right. I think Marlowe is trying to point out that people need to take responsibility for the decisions they make, and Marlowe is presenting Faustus as an example of what not to do.

    ReplyDelete